One of the virtues of 1.4 logging is that (subject to security policies, I think) the level can be set dynamically. If I run a *n*x shell script, I can arrange to catch signals and, among other things, reset the logging level on the fly. Java logging should offer the same capability, especially in embedded situations. If you are getting some strange results from production facility, it would be useful to be able to start increasing the logging level in order to get more information, and to turn it back down when you have what you want.

1.4 loggers are typically application specific, and will generally be named accordingly, e.g., org.apache.fop.Fop. This also allows you to have loggers for separate components - org.apache.fop.render.awt, and you can fine-tune your logging by package, class or even method. That's my reading, anyway.

Peter

Glen Mazza wrote:
For some reason interface Log (common to all the logging types) does not have a "setLevel()"--somehow I think that was intentional, however. After all, should FOP actually be setting the logging level? For *embedded use*, that is done by the user--they choose the logger and the level they desire, and feed it to FOP via Driver.setLogger(). I'm not sure FOP should be altering that level, because that logger could be used for many other things in the user's application. If there's messages they don't receive that they actually want, they should adjust the logger on their end accordingly. (OTOH, for command-line usage, this may be another story.)

-- Peter B. West <http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html>