Hi Chris,

<snip />
> Huh? This is not true. Follow the link you provided to the spec.
> table-rows can have background and border properties
> (when border-collapse is on)

Hmm.. Yes, but... these properties are not specifically meant for the rows
themselves. They are meant to be propagated to/combined with those defined
on the table-cells contained by it.

( IIC, resolving the possible conflicts WRT backgrounds/borders can be
settled, for a large part, at FOTree building time. )

> > I also have a hunch that this would be very convenient WRT managing
> > rowspans... In that case, TableCells could be added to the TableRow
> > directly, but only temporarily, to defer their finishing (?)
>
> Conversely, what about column spans specific just to one row !?!

They will be stored in the table-cells, just as they are now.

<snip />
> > OTOH: I do see a challenge in the break-* and keep-* properties on
> > table-rows, but I guess these could as well be stored in the row-
> > starting cells somehow.
>
> yes, keep-* properties also apply to rows. On reflection I'm
> inclided to say it looks easier to stay as we are at the moment. Your idea
is
> definitely worth considering, but since its primary goal is optimization,
and at
> this time our primary objective really should be to get a working layout.
That
> doesnt mean dont consider optimization, I just mean working layout takes
> priority over an optimized one.
> And it looks like it will be harder to achieve a working layout
> with your suggested changes.

Something I'm very concerned about, which is why I haven't started any work
on it yet... wanted to gather your opinions first.

Right now, I just have a very clear-cut idea on what exactly needs to be
done, and if I'm not mistaken, the required changes to Layout will be
minimal (see the upcoming follow-up message: will post that one later
tonight). For the most part, it will work exactly as it does now, only the
code for *creating* the Row and Cell LM's will need a little adjusting
(serveTableRow() and serveTableCell() in AddLMVisitor?)

Later,

Andreas