I would rather remain silent in this acrimonious debate, but I suppose
that would not help.

I am in favour of a modular view of FOP:
- input specification
- layout
- rendering

I am in favour of reusability of the components. It would be good if
the layout engine could be applied to different input specs, and if
the renderers could be applied to the area tree resulting from a
different layout engine. Therefore I am not in favour of removing the
AddLMVisitor code.

But reusable modules require a good interface between them, and I am
not sure FOP has that. The current visitor pattern code in FOP is
rather dead, without a proponent in the FOP team, and without active
usage for it. Therefore I will not defend the code.

The visitor pattern should not be in the way of understanding the
layout code. The layout engine should be understandable in and by
itself, without the need to see how it is connected to the FO
tree. The visitor pattern is almost entirely contained in LMIter. This
class presents a sort of iterator which provides the next child LM,
and encapsulates how this is precisely achieved.

All in all, I am much more concerned about a clean separation of
modules. If they have a clear API between them, pluggability can
follow.

My vote is 0.

Regards, Simon

--