On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:45:58AM -0700, Glen Mazza wrote:
> --- Chris Bowditch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Its the
> > getNextBreakPoss/addAreas methods in TextLM and
> > LineLM that are scarey.
> >

> Yes, that code is very complex (I wasn't able to fix a
> problem with the space-after property despite much
> effort), and I'm not sure there's anything that can be
> done to make it simpler.  Fortunately, some (Simon,
> Luca) appear to be able to work better with it.

The getNextBreakPoss/addAreas methods in TextLM and LineLM are scary
indeed, probably because they try to deal with so many cases. I
believe Luca's patch made the logic much cleaner. Unfortunately, that
method has not yet been extended to the descendant LMs.

And that seems a more important problem, the difficulty of programming
the LM setup with its two passes, getNextBreakPoss and addAreas, over
the LM tree. I believe it must be made simpler to allow a decent Java
programmer to add code to the layout system. It is an aspect I want to
pay attention to, but I will take it slowly and cautiously.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl