--- Luca Furini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Another way is to use, instead of
> considerLegalBreak(), a different method
> to evaluate a possible break point if no breakpoints
> are found: this
> alternative method would be much simpler, and would
> re-create the
> behaviour of the old getNextBreakPoss method (add
> content to the existing
> line if possible, otherwise start another line).
>
> I think this could be a much better solution:
> - it's simpler: it's just another private method in
> the LineLM
> - it would solve not only this issue with centered
> text, but also the
> other situations in which the Knuth's algorithm
> fails (for example, when
> there is a word larger than the line: see Simon's
> test file id=12494 for
> bug 29124)
>
> I have already done it, so if you agree I could
> create a patch in a short
> time.

Please do--this solution sounds great!  (BTW, you have
write access already, correct?)

> > Also, any chance we can get the Knuth classes
> commented so we have a
> > better idea what KnuthBox, KnuthPenalty,
> KnuthGlue, etc. are for?
>
> Sure, I should have done this before!
> I'll try and comment these files as soon as
> possible.

Much appreciated--30 minutes or so of aggressive
commenting of the Knuth classes on your part would
make a *wonderful* grokkability improvement to this
important area of the code.  (Please do the commenting
in English though, as I'm three generations removed
from understanding Italian. ;)

[BTW, I'm considering getting that Digital Typography
book by Knuth you had mentioned earlier.  Do you
recommend it?  (I was thinking that given all the time
I spend on FOP I should start looking a little more at
the scientific aspects of this work.)]

Thanks,
Glen