[Finn]

It [an INHERIT constant] isn't needed as an enum value
because the 'inherit' keyword takes precedence over
the other enumeration values. See 5.9.11:
"The Keyword values take precedence over
EnumerationToken."
where Keyword is 'inherit'. The code to handle
'inherit' is at line 397
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-fop/src/java/org/apache/fop/fo/properties/Proper

tyMaker.java?annotate=1.11
[Glen]

Finn, I've read what you've written above, as well as
what the spec is saying -- but I am confused here. Why does there need to be a precedence-determining
rule in the spec that says "The Keyword values take
precedence over EnumerationToken."? Does anyone know?

Perhaps because 'Keyword' and 'EnumerationToken' is produces with the same lexical rule.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#NT-NCName

My first thought is that we're only going to have one
attribute value between the quotes (i.e., "inherit",
"left", "right", "justify", etc.) so I don't see the
need for order-of-evaluation rules or declarations of
precedence.  But are there actually cases where you
would have more than one enumeration constant (e.g.,
"left | justify"?)  I must be missing something here.

'azimuth' and 'text-decoration' can have multiple enum values (eg. "overline line-through"). But no property can have "inherit" as well as some other value.

regards,
finn