Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this up. I almost forgot.
>
> I'd be in favor of integrating Victor's improvements in this area.
> However, I'd also be inclined to gently nudge you, Victor, to
> bring the font stuff back to Apache into the XML Graphics
> Commons area once that's set up. But I wouldn't have a
> problem to use your code from your SourceForge location for
> the moment. We haven't talked, yet, what you'd think about that. :-)

Hmmm. This is certainly an Apache decision, not mine. If it works better for
you to have the code a part of an Apache project, you are certainly welcome
to do that. IMO, it would result in a lot of unnecessary duplication of
effort. I used to think that duplication of effort was the greatest evil to
be avoided, but my experience on FOP has expanded my horizons a bit --
pulling in opposite directions is worse. Still, duplication should be
avoided if possible.

My suggestion would be the following: 1) Write your font logic to the aXSL
interface and use FOray as the implementation of that interface. 2) As
improvements to font logic are needed, ask for them. I'll do my best to
accommodate them within FOray. 3) If 2 proves unsatisfactory, I will be
happy to consider adding some Apache people as committers on FOray
(actually, I'll be glad to do that anyway). 4) If 3 becomes unsatisfactory,
fork FOrayFont into an Apache project and start hacking away, or start a new
project that uses the aXSL interface. 5) If the aXSL interface is inadequate
and for any reason can't be changed, fork it and improve as necessary.

Such a scheme allows us to be optimistic that we will be able to work
together, but protects everybody in case we can't.

Victor Mote