Let me sum up this tread to see if I get the picture:
* Sun's codec  will not be integrated.
* instead, Batik's transcoders will be used .
* where and how these transcoders will be made available to fop will
be discussed next week 
* I'll start by implementing basic functionalities for TIFF and PNG
using Batik's codecs. This will be 1.3 compilant. I should be able to
use the actual codecs without modifications.
* aditional functionalities (like TIFF compressions) will be added via
the Java Image I/O (needs Java 1.4) or via JAI.Those additional
functionalities will be stored in a separate directory (src/java-1.4).
* an alternative would be to create|integrate these functionalities in
the Batik code.
* I should check that the output isn't restricted to 72-dpi 
Any input to tell me if these assertions are true is welcome.
 http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgNo=10756