Just to answer this quickly: yes, page breaks inside table-rows (or
rather table-cells) are allowed by default and you use keep-together
when you don't want it split. The spec says: "The fo:table-cell
formatting object generates one or more normal reference-areas."
Keep-together's default is "auto" which allows breaks.

Specifying height or block-progression-dimension (i.e. autoheight=false)
might have the same result as a keep-together but we're not sure how
exactly to handle this case. We talked about that two months ago.

I'll work through the rest of your message shortly.