I'm trying to track this down but I get nowhere. At first, I thought it
was the default for line-height which is 1.2em for both FOP Trunk and
0.20.5. Still, in Nils' example the document is much more compact in
0.20.5 than in the trunk.

When I dial down the default for line-height in the trunk the result
gets better but I'm pretty sure that's the wrong approach.

Does anyone else have an idea? My bag-o-ideas is soon empty.