I don't know of any such convention. I've seen various variants: rc,
beta, previews etc. I think we're free to choose.

Starting with a couple of preview releases would IMO be good to inform
people that the release is not supposed to be used in production, yet. A
release candidate is more like a probable end version where the last RC
is converted to the final release. At least that's my view.