Looks like you made a thorough analysis. What I read made sense to me
although I didn't check everything to the last character. Providing the
Context interface through the LayoutContext didn't occur to me and I
don't know if it's the right way, but if it just clicks in there without
much hassle then it's probably a good idea. I'd have implemented the
Context as an inner class to the LMs but then I haven't investigated
this so thoroughly as you just did. I simply stumbled over it back in
January and what I wrote there was simply what was occuring to me at the
time (having been a newbie to the layout engine, too, back then).

So. I believe you're on the right course. Your approach seems to be
fine-grained enough to handle every case and still limit the additional
code to where it is needed. This is going to be a big jump into the
layout engine for you. I'm glad you want to try it. Please don't forget
to document your work with test cases ("test-first" has proven to be
very helpful while I'm coding in FOP's layout engine). I'm looking
forward to reviewing you patch. And thanks so much for your help!!!

BTW, I'm very positively surprised and extremely pleased about your
contributions so far. Is your boss supporting you or have you simply
become addicted to FOP? :-) Just curious.