On 20.08.2005 17:56:41 Manuel Mall wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:33 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> <snip/>
> > BTW, I'm very positively surprised and extremely pleased about your
> > contributions so far. Is your boss supporting you or have you simply
> > become addicted to FOP? :-) Just curious.
> Jeremias,
>
> Thank you for your kind words. If you mean 'boss' in the domestic sense
> the answer is no - she certainly doesn't like me doing any more work on
> computers than I am doing any way.

It seems to be the same everywhere. :-)

> If you mean 'boss' in the business
> sense then there is a big problem: I am my own boss and any time I
> spent on fop I am not earning money to feed the bunch at home.

I feel you. I'm in the same position since January, but I'm really glad
to be supported by a company for working on FOP. Still, lots of time
goes into FOP just as voluntary work.

> But
> seriously - I have been lurking on the fop-dev list for many years and
> even provided some minor patches back in the days when 0.20.4 and
> 0.20.5 where hot property. This all started when I introduced and used
> fop in a high volume document centric server application for a
> customer. As a result of that success I always wanted to contribute
> back something to an open source project whose 'fruits of labour' I was
> using commercially. However, fop didn't appear to be going anywhere for
> a long time (apart from some at times not so friendly discussions on
> this list). Finally, you wrote on this list that fop 1.0 may be nearing
> a first pre-beta release. That's when I got encouraged to look at it in
> more detail again and then decided to help with the push to get it 'out
> of the door'.

I think I can safely say that we're all very happy you took that
decision! I hope others will follow your example.

> Does that satisfy your curiosity?

Absolutely! Thanks, that was very interesting!