On Aug 28, 2005, at 15:57, Manuel Mall wrote:

This is just a clarification question to those in the know.

In HTML when specifying a table browsers usually choose the smallest
width without causing unforced breaks in columns. That is in XSL-FO
terms the ipd of the table can be smaller than the containing block. In
the current fop version it appears as if the table width is always
forced to the width of the containing block, i.e. it behaves like
setting width="100%" in HTML on the table. I compared this to XEP and
it renders more like HTML.

Is this a feature, a bug, a not yet implemented, or do I misunderstand
something?

What layout-algorithm are you referring to exactly: fixed or auto?

table-layout="auto" is still unimplemented ATM. There have been numerous loose remarks about this in various threads, but no real work on this has started AFAIK.

As for table-layout="fixed", CSS states that:

"The table's width may be specified explicitly with the 'width' property. A value of 'auto' ... means use the automatic table layout algorithm."
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#width-layout

So, all things considered, if one doesn't specify an exact (fixed or percentage) IPD on the table, I think this means it is currently unimplemented. I haven't run any tests myself, but if FOP silently supposes a default inline-progression-dimension="100%" in this case, then that would definitely be a bug.

We could either:
- drop the table completely (+ warn about this, of course)
- explicitly notify the user that, because auto-layout is not supported, the default value of "auto" is ignored and replaced by "100%"
- throw a FOPException and exit

Cheers,