On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:20 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> You probably missed the following:
>
> 7.10.1 "margin-top" says for percentages:
> > The percentage is calculated with respect to the width of the
> > generated box's containing block. This is true for 'margin-top' and
> > 'margin-bottom', except in the page context, where percentages
> > refer to page box height.

Thanks for pointing this out - don't you love this spec -:). However,
that's for a margin specified on a page-master. My uncertainty is with
a margin specified on a region-body unless you interpret the term "page
context" as meaning page-master and its subordinate elements in which
case margins on regions would be resolved relative to the
page-width/height.

> On 29.08.2005 13:18:59 Manuel Mall wrote:
> > I am trying to figure out on which base value to apply the
> > margin="5%" on the <fo:region-body> (see fragment below):
> >
> > <fo:simple-page-master master-name="normal"
> >       page-width="5in" page-height="5in" margin="5%">
> >    <fo:region-body margin="5%" />
> >    <fo:region-before extent="5%" />
> >
> > The margin in the page-master element is obviously based on the
> > page-width as there is no further containing block. The percentage
> > on the extend="5%" in the <fo:region-before> is also relative to
> > the page-width as the spec says so: "refer to the corresponding
> > width of the page-viewport-area". This leaves the margin on the
> > region-body. My interpretation is that the containing block /
> > ancestor area of the region-body is the page-reference-area. Its
> > content rectangle would in this case have the width (5in - 2*(5in *
> > 0.05)). If my interpretation is correct it would mean that in the
> > above example the margins on the region-body would be smaller than
> > the extend on the region-before (=> not nice). I am concerned
> > because it seems to be somewhat inconsistent that the percentage on
> > extent in a region-before is evaluated against a different base
> > than the percentage on a margin in a region-body.
> >
> > I would appreciate if others could cross-check if my interpretation
> > seems ok or not.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Manuel
>
> Jeremias Maerki