Perfect, Finn! I've just hacked together a little test extension that
lets me evaluate properties and write failure messages to a singleton
which a JUnit test case could process. It's very rough right now, but
with a little more work this could really be cool for checking the FO
tree.

Right now, I'm simply running a normal FOP processing run, but the
layout engine wouldn't actually need to be called at all. And I get
warnings about unsupported properties but that's a detail. The
integration into a JUnit test case is easy.

So, if anyone's eager to write test cases for the FO tree, I can commit
what I already have.