The place to start is certainly the InlineLayoutManager. It looks like
the width of the inline is reported correctly through the KnuthElements,
but there is either a problem in addAreas or in the renderers that the
content of the inline is not indented in i-p-d. Check getExtraIPD()
which doesn't seem to be referenced. This could indicate something. The
other problem is the b-p-d. Since fo:inline uses the
normal-allocation-rectangle (I've check this time), the KnuthElements
seem fine concerning the size they report. As with i-p-d I can imagine
that there is a problem with the renderers about painting inlines. The
"bpda" of the inlineparent area looks correct to me but it's not painted
that way. I think this should all be easily fixable.

The real problem IMO is probably block-level content in fo:inlines again.
How are these borders to be painted? A border around each
inlineblockparent (one for each block inside the inline)? I'm not sure
judging from the specification.

HTH