What disturbs me is that when one specifies a border around a chunk of text and there is line-breaking, this border should appear and the end of the first line and the beginning of second line, as below:
             ________________
  This is a | chunk of text |
            -----------------
   ______________
  | with border | blah blah
  ---------------

  blah blah

What is more intuitive and could be expected by a user is the following:
             ______________
  This is a | chunk of text
            ---------------
  _____________
  with border | blah blah

  blah blah

but IIUC this is not allowed by the spec. I ask for confirmation here.

I would agree that this is not allowed by the spec. The traits are the
same for all areas. There don't seem to be any exceptions. Actually, I'm
glad there aren't that would complicate things even more. :-) But maybe
someone who thinks this would be an important feature could probably
write an extension for that. :-)

I've just checked: with CSS this is the second layout which is rendered. So there would be an incompatibility here between XSL-FO and CSS, which is astonishing as the spec claims several times to promote compatibility.

Anyway, it's not an important feature for me :-]