My apologies if that has been discussed before.

While investigating if we could use the standard java.text.BreakIterator
to determine line break points I noticed that FOP uses in addition to
space, zero width space, hyphen also the forward slash as a valid line
breaking character. The Java BreakIterator does not recognize slash as
a line breaking char (nor FWIW does MS Word).

What is the background to FOP allowing this? Is this consistent with
normal user expectations or is this specific to type setting
environments / Tex / Knuth?

Regards

Manuel