Manuel Mall wrote:

While investigating if we could use the standard java.text.BreakIterator to determine line break points I noticed that FOP uses in addition to space, zero width space, hyphen also the forward slash as a valid line breaking character. The Java BreakIterator does not recognize slash as a line breaking char (nor FWIW does MS Word).

What is the background to FOP allowing this? Is this consistent with normal user expectations or is this specific to type setting environments / Tex / Knuth?

I don't remember whether it was already there or I added the slash to the other allowed characters, but in my idea this is useful when the text of a block contains some long url, which would not have other feasible breaks (apart maybe from some "-", which could be misleading).

Regards
    Luca