We have a testcase in the repository for the border-spacing /
border-separation properties which currently passes:
table_border-collapse_separate_border-spacing.xml

However, I think it shouldn't. Firstly the table borders on the 2nd
table are incorrectly positioned. But that's not the main point.

It appears that fop trunk currently reserves border-spacing/2 on the
outside of cells adjacent to the table edges. After looking at the CSS2
spec and various examples I believe the full value of border-spacing
should be reserved along the edges. Example:

<fo:table border-spacing="5pt 0pt">
  <fo:table-row>
        <fo:table-cell>...</
        <fo:table-cell>...</
  </fo:table-row>
</fo:table>

is currently rendered like:
[2.5pt gap][cell data][5pt gap][cell data][2.5pt gap]

while I think it should be:
[5pt gap][cell data][5pt gap][cell data][5pt gap]

What do others think?

Manuel