On 05.12.2005 15:53:51 Luca Furini wrote:
> First of all, thanks for your comments: I really tend to forget in a short
> time all the details concerning white space!
>
> Manuel Mall wrote:
>
> > Glyphs are only allowed to be merged if they carry the same / matching
> > set of property values. Personally I would not be concerned if we
> > therefore limit that logic to within a LM. While it is possible that
> > someone could write something like
> > <fo:block><fo:inline>a</fo:inline><fo:inline>&#x0308;</fo:inline>
> > and the a and &#x0308; could be combined into an &x00e4; IMO this is a
> > pretty degenerated case.
>
> Seems reasonable: so, we can delete glyph substitution from the list of
> things we must consider in this phase.
>
> But, now I think of it, we must consider kerning too, so the list does not
> get any thinner!

I may even be able to make the list even longer: font-variant support,
font-selection-strategy="character-by-character". I don't want to make
this any harder but maybe it's worth having at least a short glance at
the two properties while you're at it. But I'm not sure if it really
plays into the current topic.

<snip/>