Funny coincidence. I just issued another request for feedback on
fop-users. Thanks for yours!

It's understandable that auto table layout is a big desire. Not only for
those who want to create reports from database queries but also for
those who want to convert (X)HTML to PDF. I personally believe that it
will not be a huge task to get some basic auto table layout
functionality with the new codebase. Still, I must admit that this topic
is not on the top of my list, currently. I still hope somebody else
might jump in.

Concerning the tab stops: Unfortunately, this concept does not exist in
XSL-FO and therefore not in FOP. The usual work-around (if you don't
have a fixed number of places behind the comma) is to have two adjacent
columns. On the left one you write out the part before the decimal
separator plus the separator itself and on the right one you write the
part behind the separator. Obviously, this takes a little XSLT magic.