We only use Avalon for its nice little configuration package nowadays.
Logging has been switched over to JCL. The interesting point here is
that switching to JCL was actually a step backwards, since it's
currently quite difficult to extract per-rendering-run information from
FOP in a multi-threaded environment. That was no problem when we still
used Avalon Logging.