Do you mean something like setOutputProperty(name, value) in the JAXP
Transformer?

Note that PDF encryption parameters are specific to a rendering run
while the character encoding is probably more of a
environmental/factory-level config value. After all, that value can
already be configured through the XML configuration today. That means
that you might have to design such a generic property thingy for both
levels.

How would you envision that to look like? Can you provide a few lines of
Java with 2 or 3 examples?