Ben Litchfield wrote:

<snip/>

I propose that classes in FOP's package be 'merged' into the PDFBox library and FOP utilize PDFBox for PDF functionality.

I think we should do this for a variety of reasons;
-PDFBox & FOP benefit by gaining functionality
-PDFBox & FOP benefit by having a larger user base, which means code is used more, tested more, contributed to more -The entire community benefits by having higher quality PDF components available -There are several projects that currently take FOP output and perform post processing with PDFBox, this could be optimized if FOP used PDFBox as its core -Future core PDF development efforts will no longer be duplicated between these two projects

Thanks for coming forward with this proposal. It certainly looks like both projects have a lot to gain from such a merge.

The one who really needs to comment on this proposal is Jeremias as he had plans to take the PDF library out of FOP's code base and make it a separate library in XML Graphics Commons project. It could be that when we do this, we also merge with PDF Box Libraries.

I believe Jeremias is unwell at the moment, so he might not be able to comment for a few days. Jeremias is also well versed in the ASF position on licensing.

I wanted to gauge interest from FOP developers and start to think about how we can make this work. What do you guys think?

In short its a good idea :)

Chris