On 31.03.2006 21:48:43 Max Berger wrote:
> I know I have no vote in this, but I do disagree.

Every opinion is always welcome.

> 1) I still believe that PDF is a print medium and should therefore
> default to CMYK colorspace. If supported correctly by software, the
> colors should show up right on the screen.

One use case of PDF is as a print medium, but it's not the only one. If
we're talking about producing documents for offset printing, then yes, I
agree with you. Fact is that most PDF-producing software packages I know
produce RGB (either uncalibrated DeviceRGB or sRGB). This applies to
OpenOffice, Acrobat Distiller with its default settings, GhostScript.
The list probably goes on.

Supporting CMYK in FOP means some additional work which I don't have
time for (and don't really have a need myself). The client that has
asked me to implement PDF/A-1 is happy with sRGB since it's only about
patent documents. If someone (you?) implements an option to generate a
full CMYK PDF, then I'm all for adding that since it has been requested
a number of times. But doing that per default would be a change in
long-standing standard FOP behaviour which I don't support.

> 2) If you want to embedd the sRGB profile, I would recommend using the
> profiles found at the International Color Consortium:
> http://www.color.org
>
> especially
>
> http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.html
>
> unfortunately I was unable to find the exact licensing terms.

That's exactly why I didn't use them. Licensing terms are not clear. On
the other side, Adobe & Co. are distributing the sRGB profile from
srgb.com, not from color.org. It's also unclear to me which of the two
variants (withBPC/noBPC) would have to be used.