This is a very interesting and ambitious project. I would like to see
such a project succeed. But WYSIWYG editing is very hard to
achieve. That was (and is) the case with TeX, where it was tried, and
it is the case with FOP. As Jeremias already answered, FOP is not
close to such a goal. We would need a whole lot more developers than
we have now, and before that, a good design for this goal.

In principle it should be possible to let FOP know which subtree of
the FO file has changed, and one could let FOP update that part of the
FO tree in memory. It is harder to determine which part of the layout
has changed. In addition, FOP has a total fit approach to layout,
which is not friendly to a partial update. Currently FOP tries to
dispose of elements in memory as soon as possible, in the interest of
minimal resource usage. A WYSIWYG approach would require that FOP
keeps FO tree, layout elements and perhaps a number of finished pages
in memory.

Do I remember correctly that EuroMath is developed in Academia? FOP
could use a similar sponsorship. Without it, this is far too ambitious
for us.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping