On 27.09.2006 13:41:01 Tomas Studva wrote:
<snip/>
> Yes, I know the design goals of FOP are
>
>     * Conformance to the XSL-FO Specification
>     * Process Files of Arbitrary Size
>     * Minimize Memory Use
>
> and to use it in WYSIWYG editor is extend  of FOP project scope.
> Co-developer of Euroamth2, has as diploma thesis theme, design of such
> rendering (layout, painting, ...) engine usable in WYSIWYG editor. The
> engine should be abstract enough to be usable for any graphical or
> textual view, and extendable
> to be usable for concrete document type, like FO. So he will work and
> maybe he will cooperate with FOP designers to design a good rendering
> engine.

Something like that is HUGE! Even just supporting XSL-FO properly is
half a nightmare. I've once investigated a commercial FO processor which
was implemented on top of a general layout engine. They ended up writing
a new engine just for XSL-FO because they simply couldn't get to the
right quality level. So I'd be careful about the goals you set yourself.

<snip/>

> >> And last, is there option to speed up FOP generally, by lowering output
> >> quality or something?
> >
> > Not by lowering the output quality, no. You can help by profiling and
> > optimizing FOP and you can make sure the editor only generates the
> > minimal FO content to produce the right document. Many editor generate
> > much too much (redundant) content not making use of property inheritance.
> > That can have an influence on performance.
> Yes, I can make a profile of FOP if you don't have any yet, and can send
> it.

Well, frankly, I can profile myself. More important would be to act on
the results of the profiling.

> I notice, but I think such optimization to produce minimal content would
> have only a small effect in document, where are plenty of blocks or
> inlines.

A colleague once got at least 30% more performance after manually
optimizing a stylesheet generated by an FO editor. So I wouldn't call
that a small effect. But granted, your editor is a content editor, not
an FO editor that generates XSLT stylesheets, so the circumstances are a
little different.

<snip/>

> We(EM2 people) are going to have a meeting, so I am sending emails, to
> collect as many info about BIG problems as possible. After meeting, more
> should be clearer. And thanks for answer.

We look forward to hearing from you again and would be delighted if
anyone from your project could assist us improving FOP.