On Mar 23, 2007, at 15:44, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

Table headers and footers:
<snip />
Or perhaps that the border-before of the table should still be
considered?
I mean, for the first header it would come into play, and
for following headers it also would only if conditionality=retain.
I think I'll go that way as it more closely matches the behavior of the
separate border-model.

Yes, absolutely agreed!

Table body(-ies):
There are several uncertainties:
- should the border-before of the table and table-columns be considered or not: do we consider that those borders only apply to the very first
  (or last) row of the table? Or also to the first (last) row on each
  page? The question remains whether there are headers/footers or not.
  I would say yes.

I think you need to view the columns as 'separate' entities for each body, header and footer: they all need to consider border-before and - after of the columns.

- when we break /within/ a cell, should the following row come into play
  for computing the border-after? As the row hasn't even been reached
  yet, I'd say no.

This also goes in the direction of conclusions drawn in previous discussions about this topic, IIRC. I'd agree with this one too. If the break would fall right between two rows, you would also not consider the next row's before borders when collapsing.

- when we break at a grid line, should the two rows meeting a the line
  count in border resolution? Or only the row before for the
  border-after at the end of the page, and the row after for the
  border-before at the beginning of the following page?
  I would go with that latter.

Good choice, see above.

- when we break at a grid line, should the entire border appear on each
  page, or the higher half at the bottom of the first page, and the
  lower half at the top of the following page?
  I would also go with that latter.

Agreed again. The border-after of the last row on a page is merged either with the table's after border (if retained) or the footer's before border.

Tables and breaks:
- do breaks on headers and footers make sense? Obviously not, excepted
perhaps a break-before on the header's first row, or a break- after on
  the footer's last row. But as the same effect can be achieved by
  putting the breaks on the fo:table object, I think breaks on
  headers/footers should be entirely discarded.

I see no explicit restriction prohibiting explicit breaks in header or footer, but I'd also be inclined to ignore them with a warning.

Cheers,