On Nov 27, 2007, at 18:32, Chris Bowditch wrote:

Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

Cannot reproduce it here...

Strange. The patch is definitely applied and I tried building it twice just to make sure. The second time it run and generated about 100 docs before failure.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.fop.fo.properties.PropertyCache.cleanSegment (PropertyCache.java:99)
... and this line can normally not cause an NPE.
Which JVM did you test it on? Do you run multiple concurrent threads, or is it just a plain single-threaded iteration?

Sun 1.5.0_12 on Windows XP SP 2.

I tested on Apple JVM 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 on OS X 10.4. Both single- and multi-threaded.
Heap remains stable here over hundreds of runs.
With multiple concurrent runs, my CPU usage easily reaches 180-190% (2 CPUs)

The test app is running in a single thread although I can configure it to run more threads. I should mention that my machine is a Quad Core :) I don't think that should matter since the application is single threaded.

I'd indeed think so, but... Doesn't it become relevant due to the JVM implementation (synchronized, WeakReference, garbage collection)? It would be interesting if somebody could perform a similar test with yet another JVM (or with the same JVM, but on Linux, or Vista).

Cheers