Vincent,

please consider the case where a table cell is long, or even longer than
a page. In this case it should break it anyways. Also, consider these
cases:

+------------+
| 0.25 pages |
+------------+
| 1.5 pages  |
+------------+
| 0.25 pages |
+------------+

+-----------+
| 0.5 pages |
+-----------+
| 0.9 pages |
+-----------+
| 0.5 pages |
+-----------+

both of them I'd prefer to see split onto two pages. So imo a high
penalty is better

btw: does the fop spec not specify that a table should be closed when
broken? e.g.

+---------+
| much    |
| content |