On Jan 24, 2008, at 15:45, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Please see: http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ProcessingFeedback

There are now 3 different approaches we could take for an event
mechanism to better inform a user (technical or real-life) of events,
problems and progress inside FOP, per rendering run of course.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts. I'm personally preferring the
"extended approach" even though it's the most complex one but it
provides ease of use once it's built and contains QA measures so we
don't accidentally forget any message templates.

Your proposed extended approach also looks like *the* way to go to me, even if more complex to implement.

I had some ideas of my own in that area, and they looked very much like what you're describing. The only thing I was still missing was the bridge, as it were, that you propose in the form of the build-time generated XML.
Pretty ingenious. :-)

Of course, we could add these message templates as javadoc tags (like
the Blammo proposal, but in all languages) but that puts everything in
one file which I'd like to avoid. As long as there are only English it's fine, but if the community starts producing all sorts of translations it
could get messy.

Agreed, although, OTOH we should precisely encourage the community to bundle their efforts in providing FOP with default messages for the different languages. I guess this is what you mean by "An existing translation file is merged automatically so existing translations aren't lost." In time we could also serve standard sets of FOP resource JARs containing pre-generated XMLs that users can add to their environment. Keep English as the only 'bootstrapped' language, and offer the rest as optional (?)

Cheers