I decided not to send a request for clarification for this one, since
the latest CSS 2.1 [1] Candidate Recommendation clears up that issue
[2]. Excerpt from [2]:
    “Each row is as wide as the row groups and as tall as a normal
    (single-row-spanning) cell in the row. As with columns, the
    background covers exactly the full area of all cells that originate
    in the row, even if they span outside the row, but this difference
    in area does not affect background image positioning.”

This is trivial to handle for coloured background, but won’t ease life
when it comes to image backgrounds I think.

Vincent

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#table-layers