On 31.10.2008 12:54:54 Adrian Cumiskey wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> I understand what you are saying, its not ideal that it resides in
> org.apache.fop.  I'm trying to
> keep it away separate from the render package as it could be plugged into any
> engine (painter etc)
> which uses the libraries.  I guess we can move it to org.apache.fop.util for
> now, but I don't see
> this as a permanent home for the class as its not a utility class its a core
> rendering/painting
> engine room class.

Yes, at some point at least part of this stuff would need to be migrated
to XG Commons once the PDF library and the PDFGraphics2D are moved.

> I don't really like "AbstractRenderingState", I'd prefer
> "AbstractPaintingState" or
> "AbstractDrawingState" as the implication that the renderers are necessarily
> involved is not a good
> one.  WDYT?  I'm happy to take care of committing these changes after we have
> agreed on things :).

I agree, that's better. Thanks for taking care of the changes.

> Maybe in the future, especially after you have merged in your
> Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign branch we could
> think about having a 'core' top level package for common engine room classes?

Let's talk about that again when the time is ripe. I don't see the
connection between a top-level "core" package, rendering and whatever
you mean by "common engine room classes". A "core" for me in FOP is the
layout engine + FO tree and area tree. Renderers/Painters are generally
just optional plug-ins that could reside in separate source trees or
JARs. So there's nothing "core" about them.