Hi Vincent,

well, I haven't thought this through, yet. I've just let ideas bubble up.
I agree that migrating the development tab over to the Wiki is probably
a good idea since the most current stuff is there anyway. Cleaning the
stale stuff is long overdue. It only confuses and misleads people.

As for the project vs. product/release separation, I meant:
- project: Welcome, News, Download, how to get help etc.
- product/release: The actual product documentation (i.e. the manual)
plus additional resources (FAQ, changes, known issues...)

At the moment we bundle the product documentation for 0.94 with the
release of 0.95 which is kind of strange. For the website, it makes
sense to have documentation for the last couple of releases plus trunk.
What's bugging me is copying the whole release folder and then updating
all links. If we had a separate project site, we could use the .htaccess
redirects to link to the latest release rather than replacing version
numbers (nearly) everywhere. In some places we might be able to work
with XInclude if necessary. Having a separate product setup might also
faciliate generating a site PDF that becomes the "FOP manual".

I'm looking for ways to simplify our release checklist. Maybe I'll just
need one of those cold & gray winter Sundays to do an experiment locally.
If it works, we can actually implement it.

As for migrating to a Wiki entirely: Some projects use Confluence to do
something like that. But I have no idea how good this works and if we
can still do cool things like auto-generate content and RSS feeds from
XML files in our repo. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of using commercial
tools for infrastructure of an open source project.