On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Vincent Hennebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip/>
> Moreover, it can only puzzle users I think. We've used <1.0 version
> numbers for all those years, we've started a whole series of 0.9x
> releases, and all of a sudden we jump to >2.0?! With no significant
> changes from 0.95, moreover. They will wonder what is that revolution
> that they missed and that justifies such a jump.

I agree with Vincent here. I'd like to finally see a 1.0 release...
Perhaps we'll be in the minority of having a stable 1.0 release (or at
least that's the hope!)? ;-)

> The 'least worse' way to stop the <1.0 curse, IMO, is to actually call
> the next release 1.0, with the following message: the re-design branch
> has been worked on for quite some time now, it brings many new features
> and improvements compared to the old 0.20.5; it's considered stable
> enough to be used in production and 1.0 is used to acknowledge that.
>
> The work on changing IPD is likely to bring major changes to the layout
> engine, which will justify a 1.5 or 2.0 version. Once serious work has
> been done on optimization, a 2.5 or 3.0 can be released. Once
> significant features from XSL-FO 1.1 have been added, 3.5 or 4.0. And so
> on.
>
> After all, there are many open-source projects that have been around for
> years, and whose version numbers are still in 1.x or 2.x.x.

IMHO, we should finally get out of the crib, and call it fop-1.0.

Regards,

The Web Maestro
--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - <http://ourlil.com/>