Hi Tony,

Tony Graham wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21 2009 23:30:17 +0100, jonathan.levin...@intersystems.com wrote:
>> If inherit is allowed to be a value then the grammar truly becomes ambiguous
>> since each of these can have the value inherit and we don?t know which ones
>> are
>> omitted and must take the value normal.
>
> 'inherit' doesn't mix with other values [1].  AFAIK, this is true even
> for shorthands taken from CSS2.

Well the point you’re referring to says that ‘inherit’ can’t be mixed
with other operations in an expression. Technically speaking the
shorthand is not an expression. And, anyway, the point also says that
the ‘from-parent()’ function can be used instead, which leads to the
same issue.

That said, your point made me look at the introduction of section 7.31,
“Shorthand Properties”:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#d0e33965
which says that “One cannot mix ‘inherit’ with other subproperty values
as it would not be possible to specify the subproperty to which
‘inherit’ applied”.

While this is not always true as we found out, that avoids the
problem...

... Except when the ‘normal’ keyword is used, which applies to all three
style/variant/weight properties, and may also lead to ambiguous values.