While I'm at it, and taking the same FO file and config file: specifying
a mime type for the intermediate format doesn’t seem to work, contrary
to the area tree. Take the config file, remove the part corresponding to
the intermediate format (<renderer
mime="application/X-fop-intermediate-format"), and run the following:

    fop -c config.xconf test.fo -at application/pdf at.xml
    fop -c config.xconf -atin at.xml test.pdf

That works and the font is correctly embedded. Now run the following:

    fop -c config.xconf test.fo -if application/pdf if.xml

You get the following warning:
WARNING: Font "DejaVu,normal,400" not found. Substituting with "any,normal,400".

Hence my adding of the IF part in the config file.

Is that normal? Isn’t there an output mimiced by default? Did I miss
anything again?

Thanks,