http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/events.html#event-model

"For a given application, there can be multiple event models active at
the same time. In FOP, each renderer is considered to be a plug-in and
provides its own specific event model. The individual event models are
provided through an EventModelFactory. This interface is implemented for
each event model and registered through the service provider mechanism
(see the plug-ins section for details)."

And http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/events.html#plug-ins