Hi Tom,

(FWIW, I think this list is appropriate for this discussion as it has to
do with enhancing FOP.)

Tom Browder wrote:
> I would like to be able to use a Hangul (Hangeul: Korean) Open Type
> font with fop.
>
> I have found the Unifoundry and it has Hangul fonts in bfd format.
> The licensing statement from the web site
> (http://unifoundry.com/index.html):
>
> <quote>
>
> My software and is released under the terms of the GNU General Public
> License (GNU GPL) version 2.0, or (at your option) a later version.
> The precompiled fonts are released under the terms of the GNU GPL
> version 2, with the exception that embedding the font in a document
> does not in itself bind that document to the terms of the GPL.
>
> </quote>
>
> It seems to me that fontforge could be used to convert the bfd fonts
> to a vector Open Type format.  If so, would their license permit them
> to be used for fop use and testing?

No, GPL is not compatible with the Apache license. We wouldn’t be able
to ship those fonts with FOP.

Anyway, I’m not sure that that bitmap font is what you want. I don’t
know how FontForge does to convert a bitmap font into a vectorial font,
but the result is likely to be unsatisfying.

I think you want to find a font directly available in a vectorial
format, like Type 1, TrueType or OpenType. Linux distribution usually
come with loads of fonts for many languages. For example, check out this
one for Hangul:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/ttf-alee
The license seems to be MIT, which would allow us to store it in our
code repository for testing purpose.

On my system, I have an “UnBatang” font that is a TrueType font and
should be supported by FOP.

> Next question, could anyone working on the Open Type area in fop use
> some help to move toward being able to use such fonts?

We certainly welcome help in improving the font system. OpenType fonts
containing TrueType glyphs are supported the same way as normal TrueType
fonts are. OpenType fonts based on CFF glyphs are not supported at all.

It must be seen whether advanced typography is needed to properly
typeset Korean (for example, glyph shaping like in Arabic). Advanced
typographic tables are not used by FOP’s layout engine at the moment.
That may make the issue much more complicated.