There may be an interest in fully embedding a font for PostScript
output. IIUC there may be a print manager that pre-processes PostScript
files, extracts embedded fonts to store them somewhere and re-use them
whenever needed. It can then strip the font off subsequent files and
substantially lighten them, speeding up the printing process.

What’s the purpose of the ‘encoding’ parameter? It looks to me like
users don’t care about what encoding is used in the PDF or PostScript
file. All they want to have is properly printed documents that use their
own fonts. I think that parameter should be removed in favour of Mehdi’s
proposal, which IMO makes much more sense from a user perspective.

Granted, there would be some redundancy with the referenced-fonts
element. But is the additional flexibility of regexp really useful in
the first place? I’m not too sure. Maybe that could be removed too.

Vincent