Hi Eric

Sorry for the delay. I've looked at your example you've sent me off-list.

On 12.11.2010 09:32:13 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
<snip/>
> > The problem I'm currently having with output is rendering special
> > unicode glyphs.  I sent one unicode as a 25AB with the font file
> > LTYPE.TTF which came installed with Windows XP.  In FOP 0.95 it produced
> > a square which is what I want.  That character is supposed to be a
> > square.  If I'm wrong and that character is not in the font then the
> > square was the default print for character not found.  I'd like to be
> > able to run a routine through FOP to get out a list of all unicodes and
> > what characters they go with for a particular font.  When I tried FOP
> > 1.0, that same code produced a pound #.
>
> Hmm, sounds like a regression. I guess we'll have to look into that then.
> And such a glyph dump utility is definitely something FOP could profit
> from. Has anybody already written something like that? We could
> integrate it into org.apache.fop.tools.fontlist maybe.

It's not really a regression although the change is curious. Anyway, the
box you got with FOP 0.95 was not the 0x25AB character (WHITE SMALL
SQUARE) but actually the .notdef glyph which often is a big square (not
a small square). In later versions, FOP seems to catch the missing
character and replace it by "#". The "#" character is not really the
right one to display for a glyph that was not found, but FOP has been
doing that for 10 years. Maybe that gets looked at at some point. But
I don't know (and won't investigate) why FOP didn't produce a "#".

Anyway, the 0x25AB glyph is not in the font you're using. If you want a
little square glyph, you need to use a different font. You can use
Windows' "Character Map" tool to find a suitable one.

<snip/>