On 12.11.2010 09:17:44 Chris Bowditch wrote:
<snip/>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I follow what you mean.
> IIUC what you say above then when we fully embedded the CID TTF it would
> not have been extractable? In the same way a subsetted font is
> meaningless when extracted.

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Theoretically, if the Unicode cmap
tables are preserved (or even generated for the subset fonts), that
information is retained. But with a separate CMap resource that is
detached from the actual cidfont resource, it's difficult. Of course,
there's also the font resource that combines the CMap with the cidfont
that combines the two again. So to make this work all three resources
have to be kept together somehow. Example:

%%BeginResource: font EAAACC+HYb1gj
/EAAACC+HYb1gj /Identity-H [/EAAACC+HYb1gj] composefont pop
%%EndResource

> If this is true then clearly there is little
> value in making this configurable without also adding the extra tables
> you mention above, which I am guessing is a lot of work and probably not
> worth it.
>
> What about Type1 fonts? Do we always embed the font fully and can they
> be extracted for re-use?

The good thing about Type1 fonts is that they are PostScript programs
which can be embedded with almost not changes. And you've also always
got each glyph referenced by its Adobe glyph name. But then we're also
not talking about CID Type1 fonts where the same problem probably
applies.