All that being said, I could implement my initial proposal, obviously
it would have to be user friendly and not conflict with the settings
already available, so maybe a parameter called "embedding" with two
possible values, "full" and "subset" (since the "none" is already
covered by referenced fonts).

As for the unique prefix for the font name, may I suggest moving it
from the font level (o.a.f.fonts.MultiByteFont) to PS level (maybe
implemented in somewhere like o.a.f.render.ps.PSFontUtils), this would
allow a more intelligent implementation since PS and PDF don't have
the same requirements in this case since PDF prefixes only need to be
unique to the document.

</snip>