I read in the literature that GIT and Mercurial merge would be very
much better at resolving possible conflicts than subversion. Today I
tested this with the merge of the Temp_Color branch into trunk.

In GIT I used the GIT repository at https://github.com/apache/fop. The
merge of Temp_Color resulted in one conflict, in status.xml. The
conflict was presented precisely, and was easily resolved.

The merge in Subversion resulted in the following:

Summary of conflicts:
  Text conflicts: 16
  Property conflicts: 1
  Tree conflicts: 68

The many tree conflicts were files that were removed in the branch and
trunk or added in both. Obviously they were caused by the merges of
trunk into Temp_Color earlier.

After the merge in GIT I got no compilation errors. I got three
failures in the junit tests, which were also present in the branch. I
investigated a few cases which gave a conflict in subversion. They
were resolved correctly in GIT.

This merge result is a huge time saver, and I thought I should let you
know.

Simon