I'm not sure there is a definition of the file scheme that is not a URL
scheme. When 1630 was published, the distinction between URI and URL was not
worked out yet.

At present, the official definition of the file scheme is shown by IANA to
be 1738 (see http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.html).

In the case of an empty <host> specification, one has:

file:///<path>

so if one specifies

file:///../fop.xml

then this maps (on UNIX) to "/../fop.xml" which is not a legitimate path, or
at least it will cause EACCESS or equivalent upon access;

if you are discussing the use of the Java URI class, this is another matter,
but just keep in mind that external specifications of the file URL should
never have a relative path for <path>, and all external specifications of
the form file:///foo.bar refers to the file foo.bar in the root directory
(and not in relationship to some implied xml:base);

at least this is my understanding of the formal definition of "file:"

g.