first, this is rather out of scope for FOP and this mail list; i doubt if
any other dev is building these tools from source just to use when working
with FOP; i certainly am not; on the other hand, I do keep the sources of
these tools on hand for documentation purposes;

i suggest you use binaries of the tools, and not attempt to compile them
from sources unless absolutely necessary (e.g., to fix or debug a tool bug);
otherwise, you are just making extra work for yourself