I'm disturbed that such a change has been committed without a public
discussion of the merits, risks, etc., of making such a breaking change.

Please revert this commit, conduct a public discussion, then, based on the
results, implement the consensus. I have no idea if there is a consensus
for this change without having a discussion.

Regards,
Glenn