On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/03/12 00:57, Glenn Adams wrote:
> <snip/>
> > 2. for NoWhitespaceAfter, specified that line breaks are allowed after
> > DOT;
> > if this isn't done, then one cannot break a long line before *or* after
> DOT,
> > and consequently could force long lines when not desired; this because
> the
> > default settings for the NoWhitespaceBefore rule disallows a line break
> > before DOT;
>
> DOT is not in NoWhitespaceBefore’s default list of tokens to check.
> Therefore it /is/ allowed to break a line before a dot. This already
> happens plenty of times in the codebase.

ok, i see I misread [1] and didn't notice that DOT was in the default tokens

[1]
http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_whitespace.html#NoWhitespaceBefore

> Fixing the violations reported by the NoWhitespaceAfter rule is just
> a matter of moving the dot to the next line.
>
> Can we revert this change?

actually this (allowing line break after DOT) was allowed in the
checkstyle-5.1 rules that we have been using in FOP, so the new proposal to
disallow line break after DOT is a new change (which hasn't yet been
implemented); so it isn't really revering a change;

in any case, i see that only 12 new errors are produced by disallowing line
break after DOT, and, since i don't have a strong preference on this issue,
i will go ahead and add the new restriction along with fixes for these 12
violations